Monday, September 1, 2008

Who is this mommy person and where did I go?

While pregnant with Andrew, I was warned by several people that my identity would soon change. I would no longer be referred to in conversation as "Amy", but rather as "Andrew's mom." Everyone who told me about this change, was right. When I would call another mom, I would even say "Hi, this is Amy Banocy, (brief pause), Andrew's mom." I've recently noticed that this identity shift has moved to another level. Not only do other children and their parents refer to me as "Andrew & Jacob's mom", but I refer to myself in the third person. Have I totally lost my own identity? Why, when speaking to my child, do I say, "Mommy's going to take a shower" or "Mommy told you to..."? Why do I not say, "I'm going to take a shower"? Let's take this a step further...not only do I refer to myself in the third person, I also find myself using what I like to call "toddler language." Case in point..."Mommy needs to use the potty before we play outside." That sounds SO ridiculous coming out of my mouth! Why not say, "I need to go to the bathroom before we play outside"? I knew that becoming a mom would bring about many changes in my life, but THIS I did not expect. So, to all my friends who have yet to enter the world of motherhood, heed my advice...take advantage of being YOU while you still can, because you before you know it, you're going to be "somebody's mommy needing to use the potty."

0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey