Monday, August 25, 2008

ABC book

With Jacob's morning nap running until about 11am, we find ourselves sticking around the house more in the AM. I must admit, however awful it is, that I usually use this time to catch up email and do things around the house (i.e. clean the kitchen which is still dirty from the night before). Andrew tends to play by himself or with his friends, imaginary friends that is, and keeps himself pretty busy for an hour or so.

After looking at another mom blog over the weekend (chasingcheerios.com), guilt took over and I decided that I could make better use of this morning time. I pumped Andrew up by telling him we were going to do something fun and it would be just him and me. Amidst his excitement, I gathered up magazines, large index cards, tape, glue, scissors and crayons. I was so excited to

start our project...I almost felt like a preschool teacher! I explained to Andrew that we were going to make his very own ABC book, which he was quite thrilled about. I wrote the letter, then he wrote the letter
and then we added pictures that started with that letter. What started out as a fun activity, lasted about 10 minutes, and gave us an ABC book and just that...no D-Z to this book! Andrew became bored and decided he'd rather watch his new DVD about firemen and policemen. While the activity didn't quite turn out as I had hoped, I must say it was fun and I was so proud to see Andrew writing his letters!

3 comments:

staci said...

I love it!! I get the importance of teaching him his alphabet, but there's not rule saying you have to go in order. I say you try again in a few days and start with the letter "S" ...it's a good one! Then maybe D for Derek, J for Jacob, etc..
Hugs and kisses from us in MA (slobbery wet ones from Mason!!)
We miss you guys!!

The Welde Madhouse said...

Hey, I AM a teacher...I give you an A! Well done! Don't drop the project! Do a page or so a day, letting his interest set the pace. Before long you will have the whole book. Laminate and bind it! He'll read it over and over! Next up....a Number Book! Write the number, have him cut/glue/draw that number of things on his book. If you ever need any ideas, just holla. Last week we graphed fruity pebbles. ;)

jodi said...

you could also ad pictures of people he knows or places he's been (with him in the picture) that correspond with the letter you are doing to keep things more interesting for him...great idea though! I will definitely be borrowing this one!

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey